Each time I hear this pre-flight safety admonition I am reminded how appropriate it is as advice to leaders. We can’t serve our teams or create great results if we don’t take care of ourselves first.
“If you think taking care of yourself is selfish, change your mind. If you don’t, you’re simply ducking your responsibilities.” ~Ann Richards
5 Ways To Secure Your Oxygen Mask Before Assisting Others
1. Get sufficient rest. See what Arianna Huffington and Martha Stewart have to say about sleeping your way to the top.
2. Nourish your body well. It’s insane to expect top performance while taking in garbage.
3. Maintain a reliable system to capture deliverables. This will allow you to enjoy down time without those nagging feelings that you’re missing something.
4. Exercise to reduce stress and build cardiac health.
5. Celebrate your personal daily wins – and don’t let them be overshadowed by the yet-undone goals of the future.