How’s your personal brand doing these days? If you’re not sure, that might be an indicator that it’s time for a check up.
What Is A Personal Brand?
Your personal brand is how others would describe you based on the the way they experience you. Each person will have their own personal impression of you; a unique brand impression. While we can’t control what every single person thinks of us, we can identify the values that are most important to us and decide to demonstrate those values each day.
Ways To Impact Your Personal Brand
- Write down the values that are most important to you. Find ways to demonstrate those values with everyone.
- When making agreements, state what you will do and when you’ll get it done. Then stick to it.
- Ask how you’re doing and what you can do to improve how you’re perceived.
- Find a trusted colleague to trade coaching services. Observe and coach each other on interpersonal skills.
Don’t Be Afraid To Drop Unattractive Habits
Everyone has a couple of areas to work on. If any of these apply to you, think about their impact on others and whether they’re in alignment with your values. These are common occurrences that may seem harmless, but they actually tear apart work groups and families.
- Gossip. If you’re dying to hear some juicy news, find a soap opera to watch.
- Venting. If you’re not speaking directly to the person who can change the situation, you’re gossiping and potentially putting someone else in an awkward position.
- Sarcasm. This usually results in the speaker appearing witty while someone else serves as the butt of the joke. Unfortunately, sarcastic comments may elicit laughter, encouraging the speaker further and covering up the hurt that is caused.
Your personal brand is unique to you. Polish the parts you like, discard what’s no longer serving you well, and enjoy living an intentional, aligned life.
Sign up to receive notifications of new posts as soon as they’re published. I will never share your email address and I don’t spam.